Kerry Shu writes:
> James Carlson wrote:
> > Kerry Shu writes:

> >> acpi_drv will try to load all known vendor specific modules. Once one
> >> module is loaded successfully, it's believed a vendor specific module
> >> is found and function.
> >
> > How exactly does the system know which module works on a given system?
>
> If the corresponding ACPI method is found in _init of the vendor
> specific module, then _init will return SUCCESS and we know the
> module works.

Do you read the misc/ directories appearing in the kernel's module
search path and load every misc module whose name matches acpi_*, and
expect at most one of them to return 0 from _init()?

> > Are these modules expected to test for platform compatibility by
> > probing around in the module's _init(9E) function?
>
> Yes. And per my understanding, the ACPI method string should be unique
> per vendor.

OK.  I would think that a safer way to do this would be to have a new
registry in /etc (acpi_modules?) that maps from method string to
module name to be loaded.

But as long as you've tested your search method, and it doesn't cause
undue hardship, and this is the _only_ thing that's likely to be using
it, I guess I don't have a strong feeling about this.

--
James Carlson, Solaris Networking              <james.d.carlson at sun.com>