Garrett D'Amore writes:
> In retrospect, perhaps having a separate directory under /kernel would
> be better, and then vendors could deploy their own acpi modules without
> having to touch the acpi_drv binary.

If that's where we go, then I'd rather see an /etc registry, as we do
with other forms of hardware/module ID and aliasing.

> There's a possibly different approach as well -- you could have acpi_drv
> be a nexus, and create child nodes with the node name of the form
> "acpi,TOS1900" or somesuch.  That might actually be the *most* elegant.

Yes ... and would make the use of a new subdirectory much less
interesting.

Given that there's only one of these now, there may not be many, and
that someone could reasonably design something better here later, it's
not clear to me that pushing a more flexible scheme is necessary.
(But I certainly agree with you that this would be cleaner.)

--
James Carlson, Solaris Networking              <james.d.carlson at sun.com>