On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 1:28 AM, Alan Hargreaves
<ah89892 at sac.sfbay.sun.com> wrote:
> I'm sponsoring this fast-track request on behalf of the
> ksh93-integration project.
>
> Please note that this is an *open* case.
>
> Template Version: @(#)sac_nextcase %I% %G% SMI
> This information is Copyright 2009 Sun Microsystems
> 1. Introduction
>    1.1. Project/Component Working Name:
>         ksh93 update 2
>    1.2. Name of Document Author/Supplier:
>         Author:  Alan Hargreaves
>    1.3  Date of This Document:
> 4. Technical Description
>
> The release binding is the same as with the previous ksh93 project: a
> patch/micro release of Solaris delivering through OS/Net.  Stability
> levels are as described below.
>
> Additional materials (man pages and diffs) can be found in the
> 'materials' subdirectory.
>
> This project is an amendment to the Korn Shell 93 Integration project
> (PSARC/2006/550, PSARC/2006/587, PSARC/2007/035 and PSARC/2008/344)
> specifying the following additional interfaces:
>
> 1) Update of ksh93 interfaces
> 1.1) New "typeset" variable type qualifier ("-C") to declare compound
>     variables
> 1.2) New "typeset" option "-m" to rename/move a variable
> 1.3) New "read" option "-C" to read a variable as compound variable
> 1.4) New "print" option "-C" to print compound variables as a
>     single line
> 1.5) New ksh93 math functions "log10", "j0", "j1", "jn", "y0",
>     "y1", "yn"
> 1.6) Interface stability change of the POSIX shell command language
>     parts of the ksh93 language
>
> 2) An enhanced version of the "cmp" utility and an identical ksh93
>   built-in command
>
> 3) An enhanced version of the "cut" utility and an identical ksh93
>   built-in command
>
> 4) An enhanced version of the "comm" utility and an identical ksh93
>   built-in command
>
> 5) An enhanced version of the "paste" utility and an identical ksh93
>   built-in command
>
> 6) The addition of /usr/bin/print
>
> 7) An enhanced version of the "uniq" utility and an identical ksh93
>   built-in command
>
> 8) An enhanced version of the "wc" utility and an identical ksh93
>   built-in command

Replacement of important components of the userland seems rather too important
for a fast-track.

I know that I'm certainly not happy about ripping out Solaris commands and
replacing them with external commands. What happens when we need or want
to diverge from upstream behaviour?

And is this just the tip of the iceberg?

--
-Peter Tribble