Darren J Moffat wrote:
> Tom Childers wrote:
>> Thanks George.
>>
>> At our meeting this morning, I agreed to sponsor the case if we need
>> to derail it into a full review. So I look forward to a clean proposal
>> that allows us to complete this as a fast-track.  We're extending the
>> fast-track timer to close-of-business Friday to resolve this issue.
>
> Please put the case in "waiting need spec" and start a new 1 week timer
> when the new spec arrives for review.
>
> This ensures that if the new spec is available with sufficient time to
> review it.
>
> --
> Darren J Moffat

All,

Thanks for your many comments and helpful feedback.  Attached, please
find a revised proposal. It contains major changes to the previous
proposal as follows:

1)  GCC commands will be installed directly into /usr/bin with version
suffixes rather than a version prefixed install path.

2)  Binutils will be installed directly into /usr/bin with no versioning.

3)  Runtime libraries will be installed directly into /usr/lib.

There were several factors motivating these changes:

1)  Red Hat, SUSE, and Ubuntu all install GCC in /usr/bin.  Versioning
is via suffixes on platforms that support it.  This is also documented
on the gcc man page and will allow the -V <version> option to function
properly.

2)  GNU discourages the use -R required to support the versioned library
path in our original proposal:

http://gcc.gnu.org/faq.html#rpath

3)  The GCC runtime libraries are built with SONAME set to the major
version, e.g. libstdc++.so.6.0.10 SONAME is set to libstdc++.so.6.  This
implies to me compatibility is expected as long as the major version
matches.  Even with multiple version of libraries installed, say
libstdc++.so.6.0.x and libstdc++.so.6.0.y, programs will get whichever
version is linked to libstdc++.so.6.

4)  PSARC/2008/378, "Move gcc and binutils from /usr/sfw/bin to
/usr/bin", approved last summer but never integrated proposed a very
similar install structure.

Thanks,
George