Jim Li writes:
> > Shi-Ying Irene Huang writes:
> > I think you may have missed at least /etc/updatedb.conf and
> > /var/lib/slocate/slocate.db.  There may be other interfaces associated
> > with this package; I'm not positive, as it's been a while since I used
> > it.
> >

> /etc/updatedb.conf is the configuration file for locate which belongs to
> another package findutils. As slocate man pages says that slocate will
> parse GNU Locate's /etc/updatedb.conf when the argument is provided.

OK.  That still makes it an interface.  Interface lists aren't just a
catalog of the files shipped in the package.

> /var/lib/slocate/slocate.db is the index file which is be created by
> package install post, cause it's group owner should be  slocate which is
> created by package install pre. I'm not sure if I should list this file
> here or not. If it should be there, please let me know.

Yes; absolutely.  The "install post" and "install pre" sound like an
interesting problem as well.  The new user and group are *also*
interfaces.

You should work with your case sponsor to come up with a complete set
of materials.  I suggest placing this case in "waiting need spec"
state until those materials are available, because it's obviously not
complete today, and thus can't be a fast-track.

> > Isn't updatedb normally used only in a cron job entry?  Should it be
> > on every user's path, especially with that really unfortunate,
> > much-too-generic name?
> >

> Not really. Sometime user need to update index immediately.

I see.  Does that user need special privileges to do this?

> > ... and then there's locate(1) versus slocate(1) versus mlocate(1).
> > Aren't Linux distributions dropping slocate over time?
> >

> In Ubntu 7.10, locate has been overwritten by slocate if slocate is
> installed.

What about mlocate?

> >>         /usr/lib/libast.so.1  private      2006/550
> >>         (SONMAE libast.so.1)
> >>

> > That comes from ON and I don't see a contract.  Where's this software
> > integrating?
> >

> Contract is going on, Sorry about this.  Libast.so.1 is in SUNWcsl.

Where is slocate integrating?  SFW?

--
James Carlson, Solaris Networking              <james.d.carlson at sun.com>