Irene Huang wrote:

>> I am setting the timeout for this case to be Feb 13th.
>> Please review the proposal at
>> http://sac.eng/Archives/CaseLog/arc/LSARC/2008/068/proposal.txt

I have no particular objection to this case, because there a bunch of
FOSS that wants to use it.  But, assuming Indiana plans to support
installing the Studio compilers in future, would it be a good idea to
add a short note to the end of any supplied man page to note:

1) The Studio compilers also supply a conflicting libgc.so under
/opt/SUNWspro/lib/libgc.so.  See
http://developers.sun.com/solaris/articles/libgc.html.

2) The Studio version does not need people to edit their programs to
replace malloc() with GC_MALLOC() and the like.  But equally, someone
compiling with the Studio compilers will probably pick up the Studio
version first because of the default link path, even if they are
expecting the version from /usr/lib in this case instead.

Maybe there needs to be some provision here to avoid conflicts, or at
least to tell people how to avoid getting such conflicts by mistake?

Hugh.