James Carlson wrote:

> Liane Praza writes:
> > 2.1.4. S-Lang Library (dependency of mutt), version 2.1.3
> >
> >      http://www.jedsoft.org/slang/
> >
> >      S-Lang is a multi-platform programmer's library designed to
> >      allow a developer to create robust multi-platform software.
>
> Perhaps a dumb question: does mutt really need s-lang?  It seems to
> link against curses just fine, and it doesn't seem to use the
> elaborate interpreter and environment that s-lang provides (though I
> may have missed something).  If mutt is somehow "better" when linked
> against s-lang, ok, I guess that's a fine reason to use it, but
> otherwise this seems to be a lot of baggage to drag in for mutt, and
> a fairly good risk that we'll have multiple terminal control
> databases and thus consistency problems.

Mutt with s-lang adds flexibility when defining colors; namely, the
keyword "default" may be used as a foreground or background argument
to the "color" subcommand.  Useful for users who want mutt to retain
the background color/pixmap of their terminal when it is run.

> >      mutt, fetchmail, procmail, and s-lang are Open Source
> >      projects, and their design, development and release schedule
> >      are external to SMI.  They make no explicit promises or
> >      guarantees of API or ABI compatibility between releases.
>
> They may not make promises, but we can.
>
> Please make at least fetchmail and procmail either Committed or (at
> worst) Uncommitted.  They're useless as Volatile, and given that
> many of us have relied on these utilities for a decade or more
> without seeing any incompatible changes, dubbing them "Volatile"
> merely because the author doesn't draw an SMI paycheck seems wrong.

That argument probably can extend to mutt as well.  It's command line
has evolved quite stably in its lifetime.

Steve