Scott,

Thanks for your input.

Comments embedded below.

Margot

Scott Rotondo wrote:
> Margot Miller wrote:
>> If rmt is not setuid, nor does it re-exec via pfexec, would the
>> auditing of rmt
>> still be required? The goal is not to diverge much from Joerg's
>> source base.
>
> Ken said in another email that rmt does not run with privilege,
> acquired via setuid or pfexec. Can I also assume that there is no
> daemon running as root?
     Joerg, Ken, can you please confirm?

> Assuming that the answer is yes, and rmt really is unprivileged, there
> seems to be no need to audit. However, it would also seem that the
> access control system described in /etc/default/rmt does absolutely
> nothing. Are we sure we understand how this program works?
     It look to me like it was actually just limiting access.

     Below is the man page documentation of it:

          /etc/default/rmt
          Default values can be set for the following options  in
          /etc/default/rmt.  For example:

          DEBUG=/tmp/rmt.debug
          USER=tape
          ACCESS=tape    myhost.mydomain.org /dev/rmt/*

          All keywords must be on the beginning of a line.

          DEBUG
               If you like to get debug information, set this  to
               a  file  name  where rmt should put debug informa-
               tion.

          USER The name of a user (local  to  the  magnetic  tape
               server)  that  may  use  the  services  of the rmt
               server.  More than one USER=name line is possible.
               A line USER=* grants access to all users.

          ACCESS
               This  keyword  is  followed  by  three  parameters
               separated  by a TAB.  The name of a user (local to
               the magnetic tape server host) that  may  use  the
               services of the rmt server followed by the name of
               a host from where operation is granted and a  file
               specifier pattern for a file or file sub tree that
               may be accessed if this ACCESS line matches.  More
               than one ACCESS=name host path line is possible.

               If standard input of rmt is not a  socket  from  a
               remote  host, rmt will compare the host entry from
               /etc/default/rmt with the following strings:
                PIPE      If stdin is a UNIX pipe.

                         If you like to allow remote  connections
                         that  use  the ssh protocol, you need to
                         use the word PIPE instead  of  thr  real
                         hostname in the matching ACCESS= line.

               ILLEGAL_SOCKET
                         If  getpeername()  does  not  work   for
                         stdin.

               NOT_IP    If getpeername() works for stdin but  is
                        not connected to an internet socket.

>> The project team has agreed that if this is a requirement, then we have
>> a few options:
>>
>> 1)  We could just not ship /etc/default/rmt.
>>
>> 2) We could ship the /etc/default/rmt file with the below contents:
>>

> Changing or removing /etc/default/rmt wouldn't make a difference.
> After all, it's a configurable interface and the customer could put
> back whatever contents we remove, right?
     Yes, that is true.  My thought was that if we didn't document it
and it was a private interface,
      then it would not a supported configuration if the customer
created one or modified the
      existing one on the system (especially if the file said "DO NOT
EDIT").

     But I am sure there would be some savvy star users who had been
using star for awhile
     and would know about the existence of the file and know how to
create it/and or modify it.

> The point is that we're inferring from the sample config file that the
> rmt code makes access control decisions (since those decisions are
> configured in the file). It's the presence of the code, not the
> particular configuration file, that leads to the audit requirement.
     That would bring up another option- not ship the file and disable
the feature in the code.