>Template Version: @(#)sac_nextcase 1.68 02/23/09 SMI
>This information is Copyright 2009 Sun Microsystems
>1. Introduction
>    1.1. Project/Component Working Name:
>        Timezone cache renewal
>    1.2. Name of Document Author/Supplier:
>        Author:  Nobutomo Nakano
>    1.3  Date of This Document:
>4. Technical Description
>
>Name
>----
>Timezone cache renewal in ctime(3C) (aka No reboot on timezone update)
>
>Background
>----------
>Timezone patches contain the updates of the zoneinfo database files.
>
>Internally libc caches the timezone information and never rereads
>it. This means that when the timezone patches are applied and updates
>are made to the zoneinfo database, files they are not activated until
>the system is rebooted or the various process that use the timezone
>information are restarted.
>
>The impact of a reboot for the changes in the timezone is significant
>especially for those customers with many Sun servers running many
>domains.

Now that we have this large mechanism to update the timezone information,
I'm missing a number of things:

        it appears not to be possible to change the timezone dynamically;
        there are customers who want this.  In the initial implementation
        of Olson's code uses a link called "localtime" and with a broadcast
        mechanism we could have this function pretty much for free;
        should this not be added to this project?

        how is the semaphore checked and why is a mmap file in, say,
        /var/run not good for this purpose?

Casper