Nicolas Williams wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 28, 2009 at 05:28:09PM +0100, Darren J Moffat wrote:
>
>> Why isn't the implementation of this using the port_associate(3C)
>> facility to watch for the default timezone file being updated ?
>>

> [Not the i-team] Probably because that would mean having a thread to
> wait in port_get(3C).  That seems too heavyweight to me.  I'd love to
> see something asynchronous, like a signal or "AST" for this.
>
> Nico

Yes, having an extra thread in every process seems ... too heavyweight.
To be honest, when I reviewed this, I didn't even think of port_get() or
port_associate.  I think part of this is a problem stemming from lack of
knowledge about new facilities.  Its hard for project teams to stay on
top of every new feature that is introduced, and this might be one of
those cases.

    -- Garrett