Rainer Orth wrote:
> George Vasick <George.Vasick at sun.com> writes:
>
>> Alan Coopersmith wrote:
>>> You really need both 4.3.2 & 4.3.3?
>> My first choice would have been to replace the current gcc 3.4.3 with
>> gcc 4.X and simply called it gcc.  However, gcc 3.4.3 is part of the
>> Solaris build environment and we must keep it until Solaris moves to a
>> newer version of gcc.
>
> How's the progress with moving ON (and perhaps other consolidations, I
> don't know if they use GCC at all or rather prefer the Studio compilers)
> from GCC 3 to GCC 4?

Delayed a little.  We lost a resource recently and we are still playing
catch up.

>> The other aspect is customer support.  We have customers who want to be
>> able to test with a new compiler release while continuing to use their
>> current release for production.  We even have customers who want a
>> specific bug fix back ported to their specific version of the compiler.
>>   They will not take the next update no matter how small the version
>> number change is.
>
> This may be a point where we have to say: this might have to be Sun's
> problem, not the communities, especially if the current solution is so
> incompatible with the way any other product is handled.  This would be an
> issue for my other examples as well: how do you handle this e.g. in
> PostgreSQL?  Or just let those customers not update they GCC installation
> and keep it the way it is.

I don't see the incompatibility for users with just one gcc version
installed.  For users who need multiple versions for what ever reason,
we'd like to provide that capability.

>>  > You don't believe even
>>> micro releases are not safe or compatible upgrades?  That's
>>> just sad, and somewhat inconsistent with every other distro/OS
>>> shipping gcc I've seen.   (3.4.3 vs. 4.3.3, sure, but not
>>> 4.3.2 vs. 4.3.3.)
>> Solaris freezes on a specific release for its build compiler.  What
>> happens when they are on 4.x.y and we want to release 4.x.z?
>
> Right, but even with the Studio compilers, this was handled by a special
> distribution that included particular patches necessary for building ON.  I
> don't think this special requirement should affect all users of Solaris.

Yes, you are 100% corrected on the studio side.  For gcc, the build uses
the compiler installed on the live system.  I don't know why the two are
handled differently.  We do need to accommodate Solaris builds, however.
  They are one of our important users.

George