Garrett D'Amore wrote:
> I'm not sure I agree with the second half of that statement.  The rules
> are there to minimize the likelihood of someone using an interface that
> might change incompatibly.  For this particular usage, that's a known
> risk that the community can decide to take -- and Sun won't have to deal
> with any fall out from it, because this will be well outside of the
> "supported" configurations.

The fork-and-maintain scheme is a known quantity.  It's been done in the
past.  And, in fact, if you go back and read some of the rationale
behind the ARC, such things were actually the _reason_ that the ARC was
formed -- to avoid the consequences of this choice.

But I've said my piece, and you know what I think of the plan.  It
doesn't matter, of course, as setting up a new gate is trivial.  It's
what comes after that's hard.

Good luck.