Halton Huo <Halton.Huo at sun.com> wrote:

> For other disabled plugins, they are different story:
> - CD/DVD Creator
>   Does not work at all, I explain the reason in ARC case and the email
> to Darren.

It seems that a lot of software developed on Linux since ~ 5 years (when a
design based security problem was introduced into Linux) now tries to ignore
the UNIX privilege separation rules and includes direct calls to SCSI commands.
This causes four major problems:

-       missing privilege separation forces the GUI to be installed suid root
        ot comparable.

-       the SCSI transport code is written in a 100% non-portable way although
        there is a 100% portable library (libscg) that is e.g. used by cdrtools.

-       the SCSI transport code is based on /dev/* addressing although a
        majority of platforms does not support such addressing.

-       The delivered SCSI code only handles a few general cases and typically
        fails with drives that have firmware bugs. Workarounds for all known
        firmware bugs exist in cdrtools, so calling cdrtools programs would
        avoid all problems.

If your actual problem related to what I wrote?

J?rg

--
 EMail:joerg at schily.isdn.cs.tu-berlin.de (home) J?rg Schilling D-13353 Berlin
       joerg.schilling at fokus.fraunhofer.de (work) Blog: