On Tue 30 Mar 2010 at 07:21AM, Tim Haley wrote:
> On 3/30/10 5:35 AM, Vladimir Marek wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >I'm wondering, will zfs diff work between two zfs pools?
> >

> No.  Only between snapshots within the same dataset within the same pool.

Only within the same dataset?  What about a snapshot of a clone,
compared with a snapshot from the source of the clone?

In other words, given this scenario:

# zfs create rpool/testdiff
# zfs snapshot rpool/testdiff at 1
# zfs clone rpool/testdiff at 1 rpool/testdiffchild
# zfs snapshot rpool/testdiffchild at 2

Then I can do this:

# zfs send -i rpool/testdiff at 1 rpool/testdiffchild at 2

This seems to me to be a useful application; perhaps what you meant
was "it will only work when 'zfs send' would work"?

(As an aside, similar to the way send can send full snapshots, it'd be
nice to have a way to have "null" as the lefthand side of a diff.  That
is, since birth of the fs, what's changed?  Sort of like 'diff /dev/null
/myfile')

        -dp

--
Daniel Price, Solaris Kernel Engineering    http://blogs.sun.com/dp