On Apr 12, 2010, at 1:05 PM, Kyle McDonald wrote:

On 4/12/2010 2:07 PM, Mike Shapiro wrote:
We do not want any windows of time where there is no dump device
configured, which is why we considered this during the original
project and specifically did not do it.  If someone has a zvol
dedicated dump device, set -d swap to deconfigure it.
Does ZFS support sharing one device for both Swap and dump? If so great, I'd rather see that be the default for new installs. Seeing as though currently new installs go out of their way to create a separate dump device, I tend to think that ZFS can't support that now.

No, it doesn't. The default isn't relevant to this discussion; the default as perceived by an administrator is a function of the os distribution. We have some today where it is a dedicated device, others where it is the swap device. The point is that our design decision in Solaris is that the default is to have *some* dump device

We made a very deliberate design decision when implementing dumpadm
that the objective of having an enterprise OS with crash dumps enabled by default is that if you want to deconfigure a dedicated dump device,
then the way you do that is by setting the dump device back to swap.
Maybe that should be reconsidered, now that OpenSolaris is being
targeted at least as much ifnot more at the home/hobbiest/developer
segment as it is the Enterprise. For those uses there may actually be cases where not collecting dumps is perfectly acceptable and should be allowed.

 -Kyle

The dumpadm -n option is provided to not run savecore and collect dumps if for some reason you want to have a system where you wish to forfeit any hope of debugging problems. If you want to skip dumping entirely, do not configure a swap device.

-Mike

---
Mike Shapiro, Sun+Oracle Open Storage / Fishworks. blogs.sun.com/mws/