On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 11:31:40PM -0600, Lori Alt wrote:
> Edward Pilatowicz wrote:
> >hey lori,
> >
> >thanks for doing this.  i have a few questions.
> >
> >if i have a zfs dataset (say tank/a) that is mounted via a temporary
> >mountpoint at /a, then what will the output of the following command be:
> >     zfs get mounpoint tank/a
> >
> >will "zfs unmount -a" unmount temporarily mounted filesystems?
> yes
> >i assume that a temporarily mounted dataset can be unmounted by any of
> >the following commands:
> >     umount <mountpoint>
> >     zfs unmount <mountpoint>
> >     zfs unmount <dataset>
>
> yes
> >if a dataset is configured with canmount=off, can the dataset be
> >temporarily mounted?
> no
> >if a dataset is configured with mountpoint=none, can the dataset be
> >temporarily mounted?
> no.  The man page for zfs says "A file system mountpoint property of
> none prevents the file system from being mounted."
>
> But I can see that this one is arguable.  It really depends on what
> we think the purpose of mountpoint=none is.  Is it to prevent
> mounting, ever?  Or ... what?  (Actually, I'm not sure what it IS
> good for.  Canmount=off has the effect of preventing a dataset from
> being mounted).  So I'm going to suggest that a mountpoint of none
> should NOT prevent a dataset from being temporarily mounted.

agreed.  the entire point of this case is to be able to override the
mountpoint setting.  so supporting temporary mounting of filesystems
with mountpoint=none makes sense to me.

> >if a dataset is configured with zoned=on, can the dataset be temporarily
> >mounted in the global zone?
> Excellent question.  I'm going to guess that the correct behavior
> should be "no".  Ed, what do  you think the answer should be?

it'd actually be really nice if the answer was yes, in which case i
think that this functionality would also address the following bug:
        6882285 need a mechanism force mounts zfs filesystems

and one more question that just occured to me.  today, certain zfs
operations require unmounting and remounting filesystems (see 6472202)
and zfs does this automatically.  presumably temporarily mounted
filesystems will work with these operations.  (ie, zfs will unmount and
remount these filesystems automatically at the same temporary location.)

ed