Kacheong Poon wrote:
> On 05/ 6/10 03:23 AM, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
>> Unfortunately, 2) is not quite handled in this case, as there are no
>> values which are interpreted as infinity (i.e. no timeout), so I still
>> have to handle the case where connect(), read(), write(), etc return
>> timeouts, even if they do it less often. Having an infinity value might
>> allow me to simplify my application coding (even though I still have to
>> handle the possibility of a RST). Is the value 'zero' free to be
>> interpreted as infinity?
>

> The value 0 is free and indeed can be used to mean infinity.
> But is (2) really useful in practice?  Having that only
> eliminates a subset of errors.  And the handling of this
> subset of errors is probably similar to the handling of
> its complement.  If folks really think that it is a useful,
> I can add this meaning assuming that there is no objection.

The useful case I can think of is an application where all of the
meaningful timers are implemented in user space, and the socket is set
non-blocking.  In other words, the application isn't expecting to see
time-out on connect() or in other cases, and is instead expecting to
discard (perhaps with linger=0) when the socket isn't behaving as
needed.  In that case, a kernel-level timer is just a nuisance (albeit a
minor one).

--
James Carlson         42.703N 71.076W         <carls...@workingcode.com>