On 6/29/05, Eric Boutilier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> This suggest that the Solaris-specific build knowledge that every
> OpenPKG package maintainer had to acquire in order to deliver Solaris
> packages to the OpenPKG system has been captured and made available for
> re-use in Solaris-specific src.rpms on their site... Is that true?
> (I'm assuming that this falls into that notorious category called "If
> it sounds too good to be true, then it probably is". But hey, unless
> I'm dreaming, my beloved White Sox have reached 50+ wins before July,
> so apparently anything is possible! :) )

Oh, it's even better than that. The src.rpms that OpenPKG provides
will build using the OpenPKG system on any OS that OpenPKG supports.
That's right, they have one set of Source RPMs for FreeBSD
4.11/5.4/6.0, NetBSD 2.0, Sun Solaris 8/9/10, Debian GNU/Linux 3.1,
Fedora Core 3, RedHat Enterprise Linux 3, SuSE Linux 9.3, Gentoo Linux
1.6.12, and Mandriva Linux 10.2. Additionally, OpenPKG is known to
work on IBM AIX 5.1, MacOS X 10.3, HP HPUX 11.11. While the official
latest release only consists of 562 packages, there is a fairly good
base there to begin with for a basic operating system. Certainly a
good candidate for use by an OpenSolaris distribution. There are only
two things they do that I dislike, but I know why they do it for
portability across those platforms and they have said they will
address it in the future when suitable to do so:

1) They have their .spec files setup to use static linking by default
(for portability across common platforms)

2) They have their .spec files setup to disable NLS (Because it's
broken on many platforms or poorly implemented)

Other than that, I generally don't have a problem with their packages
from a pure usage viewpoint. Obviously, everyone has their personal
preferences. The main thing is what they provide is a rich base to
start from, and curing the above two things is fairly trivial in my
experience so far.

--
Shawn Walker, Software and Systems Analyst
[EMAIL PROTECTED] - http://binarycrusader.blogspot.com/