On Thu, Jun 30, 2005 at 11:40:10AM -0500, Shawn Walker wrote:

> Because with shared libraries you have to fiddle around with
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH (and/or ldconfig if existing) and especially can run
> into trouble for libraries which the OS vendor also provides (examples
> are libdb, libz, etc). In using only static linking inside OpenPKG we
> are a little bit less flexible and our object code grows in size, but
> OTOH we already avoid lots of trouble in advance.

So why not use -R/-rpath/LD_RUN_PATH instead?  The blastwave packages
are built this way and while it's unfortunate that they drag in their
own versions of libraries installed with the system, at least it works
correctly.

--
Keith M Wesolowski              "Sir, we're surrounded!"
Solaris Kernel Team             "Excellent; we can attack in any direction!"