Dragan Cvetkovic wrote:

> I have noticed quite a few
> carrier_errors on the server
>
> bash-3.00# kstat -n elxl0 | grep carrier
>          carrier_errors                  842217
>
> but how came it affects NFS but doesn't affect e.g.
> ftp?

Some time ago I had similar NFS problems with a tyan box with an integrated 3com
3c920 NIC.  What I found out is that full duplex does not work very well
when a certain Netgear 100mbit ethernet switch was used.  Using a Lantronix
switch
the problem was gone.

AFAIR, the workarounds were:

- force half duplex in /kernel/drv/elxl.conf

- use a different ethernet switch

Quite a few people have reported full duplex problems with the elxl driver;
maybe
there's a bug somewhere in the elxl driver with full/half duplex negotiation?