On Fri, 1 Jul 2005, [UTF-8] Jürgen Keil wrote:

(btw, volcheck didn't react to floppies on my machine here)

What happens when you stop vold, and try to read from the PS/2 floppy using dd?

   # /etc/init.d/volmgt stop
   # dd if=/dev/rdiskette of=/dev/null bs=18k

Does that report I/O errors?

Jürgen, thanks for the tip. I'll come back with results on Monday as that is my machine at work and today is a holiday in Canada (Canada day, eh?).

I remember being able to use fd before, but I don't use floppy often (a few times a year at most), so I don't know if and when it stopped working.

Bye, Dragan

--
Dragan Cvetkovic,

To be or not to be is true. G. Boole    No it isn't.  L. E. J. Brouwer