On Fri, Jul 01, 2005 at 05:39:22PM +0200, Joerg Schilling wrote:
> Eric Schrock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> If a change is really small, it should be possible to verify the change
> by just looking at it (doing code review).

Code review is not a substitute for testing.  If the expectation is
that the binary has not changed, elfcmp or equivalent should be used
to aid in verifying that assertion.  If the binary has changed or if
you are modifying something like a script which is delivered directly,
you must at the very least run manual sanity tests on the affected
functionality.  If you don't at least build what you changed, how will
you know you haven't introduced a compiler or lint warning or broken
the build?  If you don't test at all, how will you really be sure
you've fixed the bug?  The amount of testing required scales with the
change but - like the change itself - is never zero.

--
Keith M Wesolowski              "Sir, we're surrounded!"
Solaris Kernel Team             "Excellent; we can attack in any direction!"