> I don't think anybody is getting your point and I
> think they never will,

I start to get a similar feeling.

> I have never understood why is sun still stuck with
> bourne shell as the default shell when bash has been
> a stable and compatible shell for years and is so
> popular with developers. I have not seen any
> catastrophic effect of bash on our thousands of linux
> boxes and we have been using them for over a year
> now. I have used /bin/sh as a link to /bin/bash on
> solaris 9 forever and still have to see something die
> on me.

I wasn't even advocating changing /bin/sh to bash.
Doing so would be nice of course, but I can see
it truly breaking old scripts when moving from a
old Bourne shell to something POSIX compliant like bash
by default.

But just adding command line editing to bourne sh
and making it work by default in ksh and making it work
it in vi. Contrary what Rich believes it is very very unlikely
that this will break anything.

I have not looked at the command line editing library in Solaris, but
with GNU readline it is usually only a few lines to add command line
editing capability to a program. A few more if you
want command completion too. And the vi problem
is just a plain bug. I remember some old vis did
that over very slow network lines because transfering
cursor key multi character escape sequence exceeded
the timeout. They even had a tunable to change that.
But having it happening local is just a plain bug.

Either the default for that needs to be increased or
GNOME terminal be fixed to not add long latencies.

~G.