Robert Escue wrote:

I would be careful here, because in the 12 years I have worked with Sun products I have never heard the term "slowaris" used by any system administrator I have worked with. I have read it a number of times and Googling the term produces some interesting results (mostly from the VMS and Linux crowd). And which SPARC users are you referring to?

The original usage of the term Slowaris was as early as 1993 (according to Google Groups and my own recollections) in reference to Solaris being slower than SunOS. (Despite Sun marketing giving the name Solaris 1.x to releases of SunOS 4.x, common usage at the time was to call 4.x releases SunOS and 5.x was called Solaris.) For those who did not want to go through the SunOS to Solaris transition, Slowaris was a term which expressed their reluctance to do so. It was later adopted by other groups as a derogatory term for Solaris. I don't think the term ever had much accuracy though.

--
James Lick -- 黎建溥 -- [EMAIL PROTECTED] -- http://jameslick.com/