On Tuesday 12 July 2005 01:24 pm, Shawn Walker wrote:
> On 7/12/05, Keith M Wesolowski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Why?  By legitimate you must mean 'closed source' and since there are
> > largely functional open source options already it would be far cooler
> > to help finish one of them and offer it as part of OpenSolaris.  If
> > functionality, usability, correctness, code quality, maintainability,
> > and everything else we would measure are equal, the open source
> > offering is better than the closed.  Consistency with the DVDCCA's
> > misguided and authoritarian philosophy is not some important
> > additional feature but rather a serious design flaw.
>
> I think he's pointing out that from a legal standpoint, Software DVD
> players aren't legal unlicense licensed appropriately, and as far as I
> know, that would make such a piece of software only legal in Europe or
> any other country where patents are invalid.
>
> For those of us in countries where we cannot change the fact that they
> are not legal, a "legitimate" option would be greatly appreciated.

Yes, exactly. As I just replied to Keith, I don't see those open source
"hacks" being a legitimate solution that can legally even go back into the ON
consolidation. That means they'll never be able to be a part of OpenSolaris
in it's pure form, and will only be able to be layered on top through the
means of another distributions based on OpenSolaris. This is fine, but I
would personally like to have something legal that I could play DVDs on, even
if I was to buy it (I'm not opposed to purcasing software, even though I
support open source;-).

--

Alan DuBoff - Sun Microsystems
Solaris x86 Engineering