On Tue, Jul 12, 2005 at 03:58:37PM -0700, George Jereza wrote:

> I'm wondering if this a statement of one individual or

We're all individuals.  Corporate entities don't have fingers or vocal
cords because they're not alive.

> talking about OpenSolaris and not Solaris.  Kinda begs
> an important question: how open is OpenSolaris?

Six and a half.  Seriously, I'm not sure how you measure openness.
OpenSolaris is available under licenses that permit forking, so it's
as open as any open source technology.  If you mean how open the
current keepers of the source are to change, it depends on the person
and the change.  You can't just go making random changes to gcc or to
Debian GNU/Linux or to X.org, either, and I don't think OpenSolaris is
any different in that regard.  We're certainly a bit more attached to
maintaining compatibility than many others, but if you are proposing a
change that adds value and does not violate the constraints, you'll
find that people are willing to listen.  You'll find them even more
willing to listen if you can show that you've looked at what's being
done now, how it works, and why it was done.

This all seems awfully offtopic by now; why not post on
opensolaris-rfe a suggestion for the change you want to see (or work
on!) instead of asking abstract questions that are hard to answer
sensibly?

--
Keith M Wesolowski              "Sir, we're surrounded!"
Solaris Kernel Team             "Excellent; we can attack in any direction!"