On Wednesday 13 July 2005 14:37, ken mays wrote:
> Yet, the reality is that it is hard to lock down ONE
> directory for all development libraries and headers.
> I bring this up because it is not so simple to just
> toss everything into one development directory and
> call it a day (although we could if everyone wanted
> it!).

Much of your comments chopped out, but they were on target.

I agree, this wouldn't be easy and would be some type of compromise for most
all parties who would be involved. In the end, it could effect all open
source software development on Solaris/OpenSolaris.

> This will make building KDE a lot easier than having a
> separate 100+ MB requirement package of libraries and
> other stuff and we can use that same package to build
> GNOME 2.10.2.

Yes, as it would other large packages. Sun is to blame as well, /usr/sfw is
something that was created over time as well.

> Just thoughts...

And a lot of good ones I might add.

--

Alan DuBoff - Sun Microsystems
Solaris x86 Engineering - Sun on Sun is the way of the future!