Joerg Schilling wrote:

Alan DuBoff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Blastwave has all of their own set of libraries, and Sun has many of
their own in /usr/sfw even, Sunfreeware has their own, pkgsrc has theirs,
and I imagine that gentoo/portaris has their own also...
With OpenSolaris, there may be more hope (in case you don't insist in a
specific distribution). We are working onSchillix and we are trying to set
up more recent versions of the libs in /usr/lib than Sun does.
That would be good for Schillix, but won't help any/all of the interested parties have a common solution, as the base OpenSolaris will be based on the ON consolodation. That consolodation has more to consider than Schillix obviously.

It looks like to did not understand the problem.

SchilliX is already more than OpenSolaris, but the problem is SX. If the test machines are installed with SX, they have too much software installed in order
to make expressive tests for OpenSolaris.

Tests that are only based on SX don't help OpenSolaris.
The HP testdrive program offers machines setup with different distros, for this to work, we will need to set up machines with different favours of OpenSolaris so that the setup times are minimum. In those cases, each owners of the different
favours of OpenSolaris should take ownership of these machines [1].
This of course open up the questions as to which favour/distros of OpenSolaris should be provided, how does this be decided? By CAB, community forces. Or just
simply a minumum of Solaris Express and Vanilla OpenSolairs? I do hope those
who manages these process behind OpenSolaris roadmaps can provide some
resources to the community.

-Ghee

[1] Assuming Sun is willing to donate these machines for use by other favours of OpenSolaris.

Jörg