Gunnar Ritter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Eric Boutilier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > > I actually fail to see a Linux industry standard in POSIX;
> >   Well at a minimum, it's certainly key to much of the development of
> >   POSIX-like Linux distro standards and other Linux standards such as
> >   those coming from LSB and OSDL. When Linux distro developers and
> >   LSB/OSDL/etc. explicitely do different than POSIX, the existence of a
> >   high-quality "precedent" standard is still key to the decision-making
> > process.
>
> Yes, and since "a deliberate Linus decision" can override a POSIX
> requirement in that process
> <http://www.opengroup.org/personal/ajosey/tr01-04-2005.txt>, I
> continue to call POSIX a recommendation rather than an industry
> standard in this context.

Andrew is keeping this list to remind Linux people on the incompatibility.

The difference between Linux and Solaris is that Solaris has been certified
for being SUSv3 compliant.

....even though, Sun make ignores POSIX requirements that would cause most
software to fail. Sun Make does e.g. the same as smake does now again
(after I tried to make smake POSIX compliant by calling commands via 'sh -c').
Sun make and smake both call commands via 'sh -ce'. The difference between
me and Linus however seems to be that I believe we should try to fix POSIX
if is inconstent and not just ignore it because someone believes it is
ionapropriate to follow specific demands.

Jörg

       [EMAIL PROTECTED]                (uni)
       [EMAIL PROTECTED]        (work) Blog: http://schily.blogspot.com/