<but I really would rather educate them if at all possible>

Almost anyone can start a software project/company, but it takes something in
the $B level (i.e., 10 digits) to start a hardware company.

And we want the former to tell the latter how to run their business?  I
probably think not.  :-)

St. RMS a couple of months ago gave a talk in Taipei (part of the Computex
activity).  The main subject of his talk was to "educate" Taiwanese hardware
manufacturers the benefits of opening up their specs (so the open source
developer community can help them write drivers).  I didn't even bother to
mention RMS's talk to our clients.

Don't get me wrong, many hardware manufacturers, at least those in Taiwan, are
absolutely aware of and indeed are acutely interested in and closely watching
the open source movement.  CDDL/OpenSolaris is a very exciting development in
that it may remove their excuse for not participating.  But b/4 this happens,
we must have a working model, showing that a Solaris desktop, or more
preferably a Solaris notebook, can provide all the functionalities, including
STR, Wi-Fi, multi-media, synchronizing with PDA, power management, etc., as
capabably as Windows.  (I think most end users will be happy with the upcoming
version of SO/OO, and Firebird/Thunderbird are adequate substitutes for
IE/Exchange.)