Hey,

> > ... I see a similar trend in Linux attempting to be birthed even now:
> > http://www.componentizedlinux.org/. The idea of a similar project
> > being birthed for OpenSolaris is an exciting thing to me...
>
> I second that, bigtime.  So my instincts tell me that the main issue
> that needs to be focused on ASAP is the base-library problem that James
> and others have mentioned. In other words, before any trans-project
> discussion (about a unified approach) can make much headway, it seems
> to me that the base-library problem has to get resolved first. Two
> projects have addressed it, but the others have not. More on this later...

So I wonder if half the problem that componentized Linux tries to solve
is the fact that so many things fail from a binary compatibility. It's
not clear to me that the added complexity at a package level [and it
seems substantial] is worth the gain. Thoughts?

> SchilliX and the Pkgsrc projects are solving the missing base-libraries
> problem by using the SPS-provided ones; but as far as I know, the
> Blastware, JDS/RPM, and Portage projects have not addressed what
> they're going to do about missing base-libraries.

I'd personally be advocating to work with upstream Solaris to make those
base libraries readily available - and I think there's real value for
other projects to be doing something similar, however stressful it might
be getting that to happen ;)

Glynn