Ok, so I've seen all the griping concerning reading documentation. I'm a new
person to Solaris, so please excuse me. I've grown up on linux/freebsd/beos/so
forth, from the .99 pre days of linux and so on, back when there was very
little documentation and also extremely few users to ask for help.

Yet, having spent the last decade in the linux/freebsd/etc world, I've yet to
have many simple (at least I think so) questions answered concerning *how* to
do things the _right way_ in Solaris. I've hit freenode, docs.sun.com, etc, to
no avail. Maybe I'm just a complete idiot when it comes to searching, but I
don't even know what exactly I should be searching for!

One of the biggest problems I encountered when evaluating Solaris for a large
datacenter deployment: I could not find a single person/could not find in the
documentation exactly how I was supposed to go about adding software (such as
apache 2/php5/etc, and I don't mean outdated versions. I realize there is the
whole "use the version that's been tested 8 bazillion times" mentality, but as
I'm planning to use Solaris in an environment where sometimes new features are
more important than 3 years of stability testing, I often need newer software
than is provided with Solaris 10) to the system.

I recieved a lot of "use blastwave" "use sunfreeware" responses, neither
resource I care for (no offense to the projects, they just aren't my personal
choice.) I've hand compiled/built everything, including all dependancies
required by them, simply because I couldn't find a solution. This creates a
HUGE headache anytime there is a security update released for ANY of the
software, I have to go download the updated source/patches/so forth, and
rebuild EVERYTHING one by one, making sure I get it all installed properly
without messing up this or that. Imagine trying to do this by hand on 100
systems, as you said, this is NOT the right way to go about things. It's
painfully obvious.

Maybe it's contained in the docs, and maybe you can tell me exactly where, but
the major problem I have is simply finding what I need in them! The
documentation is excellent, I have undoubtably found the answer to MANY of my
own questions digging through them. However, there are very general/basic
things concerning the usage of Solaris that I am just unable to effectively
locate. Mostly concerning to the "right way" to do things. You're preaching the
"right way" now, and while I can respect your insistance on doing things in a
clean/structured way, I think you'd promote doing things the "Right Way" a lot
more effectively if you simply drew up a nice "howto" on the "right way" of
doing things, and posted a link whenever you felt the urge to lambast somebody
for not knowing the "right way" of doing things. Generally, positive
corrections are accepted over negative criticism.

Not only that, but I would be _eternally_ grateful if somebody could just point
me in the right direction concerning the above mentioned issues. If you had
explained the methods in which to handle this kind of thing, or even posted a
direct link to Sun's documentation concerning the proper method to go about
this, not only would devsk be able to do things the "right way" but I would
finally have an answer to my question, and maybe other people would too. Not
just a burning sensation.

PS - Again, I'd like to stress how helpful I've found Sun's documentation, I
think there is just SOO much that for people new to Solaris, such as myself, it
makes it nearly impossible to find general answers on how to do things.
Specific questions are easily answered, like how to add users, or how to
disable dtlogin, etc. A simple search for "add user" or "dtlogin" quickly
brings up the results. How do I search for the generally accepted "correct" way
to go about installing software on a Solaris server in order to keep management
of multiple machines a non-headache?

Sorry for the tone of my response, as I'm mostly looking for information, I
just found it a bit frustrating to see somebody chewed out for posting an
attempt at helping others with a common problem, simply because he wasn't doing
things the "right way". A simple helpful postive response with a little bit of
guidance that would take somebody who _knows_ maybe 10 seconds to look up a
link or two, would have gone a lot further, I believe.

Cheers,
David