On Tue, Jul 19, 2005 at 03:57:31PM -0700, Sunil wrote:

> is it possible to move (even by a moderator) the posts one creates
> to a different category if one realises that its not the right
> place? if not, then cross posts are un-avoidable. remember that you
> gonna get a storm of newbies when OS becomes more popular.

The places where newbies can go to sign up for -discuss also offer
subscriptions to (and browsing of) the other discussions as well.
Perhaps we can document their purposes better, but moving messages
around in the fora - and thereby triggering more mail on the lists -
doesn't sound like the right answer even if it's possible.

One step we could take is to put -discuss last in the list of
discussions and note explicitly that it's high volume, low value.
Most newbies probably don't want this list anyway; they really want
either -help or a topical list.  Presumably those who need help don't
know what topical area would be appropriate, so -help should be first;
the help given might just be a pointer to the right discussion.

--
Keith M Wesolowski              "Sir, we're surrounded!"
Solaris Kernel Team             "Excellent; we can attack in any direction!"