> On Wed, 20 Jul 2005, UNIX admin wrote:

> Wow, very nice write-up!

Moin!

> This looks to me like another example of something
> that should be
> wiki'fied so it can evolve into an official,
> group-editable guideline
> doc. For example, I would (predictably ;-) )
> contributed this alternate
> branch at step e)
>
> --
> e) Time to package. Check out the make methodologies
> of the
> existing proven Solaris ports projects such as
> as Blastwave, JDS,
> OpenPKG, Pkgsrc, and SPS. If you like any of them,
> em, use their
> procedure for building your makefile and patches
> hes and contribute the
>    result back.
> --

Out of curiosity, did you work with any of these alternative packaging systems
in production?

You know, this already exists on Solaris and has existed on UNIX for the past
30 years.

Example:

Sun packaged Samba source code is in SUNWsmbaS (notice the capital "S" at the
end). It installs into /usr/share/src/, which happens to a a location reserved
for such things by Sun (how neat, don't you think?) I also believe the Samba
source package contains patched files to get it to compile under Solaris.

You mention `pkgsource`, hinting along the lines of FreeBSD / OS X ports
subsystem. Did you know that `make` and Makefiles exist for the last 20+ years
for the sole purpose of telling the compiler how to compile the source code on
the system?

1. you patch the source code if necessary
2. you modify/enchance the Makefile(s)for the software to compile on Solaris
3. package the SW using SVR4 packaging tools that already come with Solaris,
following Sun's conventions (SUNWsmbaS, /usr/share/src/)

And you're done. No need to be reinventing hot water. But what could very
easily happen is fragmentation, where we have trillion different OpenSolaris
releases, and each has its own poackaging subsystem.

"Hey, last night I treied to install anjuta, and it failed miserably!"

"Really??? What kind of error message did `apt-get` give you?"

"Oh, no, no, I was doing `emerge anjuta`, and it worked fine on [I]bonnie[/I]
but on clyde I'm running OpenSolaris with `rpm` and when I did `rpm --rebuild`
it failed miserably... and tomorrow I have to install Apache + mod_xslt2 on all
the 25 machines at work, except all of them are running OpenSolaris with [I]a
different software packaging system[/I]..."