Alvaro Lopez Ortega <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>    It really makes sense to me: Linux has been the most advanced Free
>    Software choice.  What I'm proposing is to make OpenSolaris join
>    that huge community.
>
>    As long as we continue being apart, Debian will continue being Linux
>    centric, but we can change that joining them with OpenSolaris.

You should first check whether the goals of Debian are compatible with the
goals of the OpenSolaris community.

To me, OpenSolaris is a more advanced software choice and I don't like to
miss things in case I am forced to follow the Linux way by enforcing
Debian rules on Solaris.

Debian people have the freedom to create a Debian/Solaris if they like.

I believe that we should first define your needs and based thereof define
our rules for OpenSolaris. Profiting from from work made by Debian people
does not mean that we need to copy their rules. We would first need to find
a way to discuss important issues for OpenSolaris such as:

-       file system hierarchy standards

-       how to share commonlibraries

-       how to maintain binary compatibility between Sun Solaris and
        OpenSolaris based distros like SchilliX

-       how to deal with software on Sun Solaris that is not redistributable

There are many more issues. If you blindly follow the Debian rules, you
would immediately lose binary compatibility. Is that what you like to see?

Jörg

       [EMAIL PROTECTED]                (uni)
       [EMAIL PROTECTED]        (work) Blog: http://schily.blogspot.com/