Hey,

> > But it's a shame about the Debian legal opinion; is there any sort of appeal
> > process, or do these opinions tend to be final?
>
> I'm fairly certain they won't be budging on it, here's the latest
> thread on choice-of-venue that I could find:
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2005/02/msg00036.html
>
> That's one of the reasons why I mentioned it would be much easier to
> just take a snapshot of the Debian project as is by a particular team,
> and work on their own OpenSolaris technology based distribution going
> forward. Debian's Free Software Guidelines can be very strict at times
> justifiably or not is a matter of opinion. Even if the CDDL wasn't an
> obstacle, I don't believe they would accept the binary redistribution
> guidelines that parts of ON will likely always be under.

The funny thing is that we don't *need* Debian. Sure, it's an amazing
role model [1] for which to base our work, and like I said before, if we
can achieve half of what Debian has done, I'll be happy.

We have all the bits and pieces [2] to make this possible already. We
just need some level of coordination, and that will come with time. If
we start getting too ahead of ourselves, we'll soon lose out on the fun
- which is one of the main reasons I'm here ;)

Glynn

[1] And very happy to hear to see 'Debian' references at a CAB level
[2] Or soon will have, right?