On Tue, 9 Aug 2005, Eric Boutilier wrote:

> On Sat, 6 Aug 2005, TJ Yang wrote:
> > Previously, Eric Boutilier wrote:
> > >
> > > The project goal states
> > >
> > > "... provide OpenSolaris OS a modern package
> > > age management system."
> > >

> > What will be the right wording of above sentence ?
>
> TJ,
>
> First let me backtrack a bit. In my first reply I didn't realize that
> whenever you say "Package Management System" (PMS) you mean a system
> that encompasses _both_ a build-system and a binary package management,
> auto-update system. I tend to think of these things separately. To me,
> a "PMS" is _only_  a binary package management, auto-update system.

I think it's perhaps more clear, particularly if you're wanting to compare
lots of different systems / cherry-pick from available implementations, to
think of the needed functionality as 3 different things:

* building packages
* installing and removing packages
* managing packages[1]

in Solaris, these three are:

pkgmk (sorta, though that's not a managed build system in the sense of the
competition)
pkgadd / pkgrm
Sun Update Connection

For rpm, they are:

rpm -b
rpm -i / -e
yum / apt4rpm / up2date

For deb, they are:

dpkg-deb
dpkg -i / -r
apt / dselect

etc.

later,
chris

[1] where by "managing packages" I mean some sort of
meta-installer-remover that deals with things like autoinstalling package
dependencies, updating installed packages automagically, etc. The category
name's not very good but hopefully the examples indicate the functionality
split between it and just "installing and removing packages"