On Tue, Aug 09, 2005 at 10:21:50PM +0200, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> After doing extensive work on making Solaris of the x86/x64 variety more
> mobile
> and trying to make it the laptop of choice withing Sun (not there yet, but
> in much better shape than some time ago), I'd like to propose the
>
>       "OpenSolaris Laptop Community"
>
> Laptop, I think, is the name which best covers the subject, which would
> initially
> discuss subjects such as:
>

>       Laptop quirks
>               - how to configure a specific laptop so it runs best
>                 (BIOS/xorg)
>       Sample Xorg.conf repository
>       Wifi (until it grows its own community)
>       Power management (PowerNOW! SpeedStep, Suspend to Ram/Suspend to Disk)
>       PCMCIA/Cardbus
>       Touchpads
>       Audio
>       Weird laptop specific devices
>       ACPI/ACPICA
>
> We will move our sample drivers (powernow/acpidrv/gnome-battstat2) to the
> community,
> I would think.
>
> Creating a "laptop HCL" would, I think, be part of this.

This is definitely important material we need to have.  I'd like to
suggest that this go into a section of the as-yet-nonexistent
"platform support" community, along with drivers for non-laptops[0],
SPARC hardware information, and other hardware-specific content.

[0] Especially since many of the areas you mention also apply to
desktops, like ACPI and audio.

--
Keith M Wesolowski              "Sir, we're surrounded!"
Solaris Kernel Team             "Excellent; we can attack in any direction!"