On Tue, 9 Aug 2005, Magnus Forsberg wrote:
> Hi Eric,
>
> I've just installed the JDS CBE. Seems like a good start to create a common
> build environment.
>
> It would be great to setup a RPM repository with Solaris (or OpenSolaris)
> src.rpms, that are specifically customized for Solaris (SMF, etc). Installing
> them would of course place them in the JDS SRC root and to build just :
> customize for your environment; pkg-build -ba <app.spec>... and you get a
> SVR4 package that you can distribute.
>
> Combine this with apt4rpm to get the sources in place (I didn't manage to
> compile it yet).
>
> I somehow find OpenPKG overworked for my situation. The RPM spec:s are
> complicated for not very usable if you only have Solaris (in my case). Just
> look at the apache-spec, 40k of code with alot of if-else options depending
> on what you need. Why not write a spec with what you need instead of using
> all these options? It's also got special macros that only work in openpkg, so
> copying the specs for use with pkg-tools is no good. I find Fedora or SuSE
> specs alot friendlier (to copy and customize).
>
> Maybe I didn't give it enough time, but it's really too complex. If you want
> to use the Sun Compiler, you have to rewrite the specs anyway.
>
> The JDS installer is great, uses the .spec for customizing the build, creates
> pkgs with the pkg-build, installs it. Really missed a standard BUILD
> environment, so it's just what I need. It's a perfect "addon" for people like
> me who find no use of using packages like SUNWmysql and SUNWapache.
>
> I did not have a look at pkgsrc, portage or tww yet. Any reason I should?

Hi Magnus,

I can speak to pkgsrc, but I don't have much experience with portage or tww.

Being a source-based design, pkgsrc tends to suffer from an
over-fixation on source-level compatibility at the expense of
binary-level modularity; similar to what was so well conveyed by John
P. and Alan C. here:

   http://www.opensolaris.org/jive/message.jspa?messageID=6991#6991

Also, the traits of OpenPKG that you found to be not well suited to
your needs, exist in pkgsrc too. For example, it lives in a self
contained area, and being very multi-platform is a central goal (which
necessiates greater complexity, reduced customizability, and a watering
down of awareness of important Solaris features).

Eric