Eric Boutilier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Me too, but I think Dennis and Joerg are saying that, in theory, any
> build system should be able to generate an exact duplicate of any
> binary SUNW packages for which Sun has documented the build parameters
> and patches used. (And assuming the original sources are available, of
> course.)
>
> To illustrate, let's suppose Solaris 10 (or Nevada) included
> open-source utility "foo", shipped as binary package "SUNWfoo". (Note
> I'm assuming here that the Sun consolidation team that owns "SUNWfoo" has
> made available the build parameters, patches, etc. for generating it.)
>
> - For the SPS (SchilliX's) build system:
>    1. Translate the build parameters (that Sun used to generate
>       SUNWfoo) into an SPS (aka src-get) "wrapper makefile".
>    2. Put copies of the patches (that Sun used to generate SUNWfoo)
>       into the appropriate directory.
>    3. Put a copy of foo.tar.bz2 (the original source from
>       the original site) in the appropriate directory.

Just a pointer to the original URL

>    4. Run (I think): src-get compile foo
>    5. Use pkgmk(1), prototype(4), etc. to create SUNWfoo. (I'm not sure
>       if this step has been automated yet.)

All packages we currently use on Schillix have been put into a state where
SPS already creates something that is very close to the input for pkgmk(1)
and this input is currently used to create an installable (*) tar package.

*) The package is one of the > 50 packages that are extreacted and install
while running the script "makeiso" that creates the SchilliX CD ISO image.

Jörg

       [EMAIL PROTECTED]                (uni)
       [EMAIL PROTECTED]        (work) Blog: http://schily.blogspot.com/