Without bringing up every point that you've made (which has been done by
others) I have a couple of points to make and I'd like to solicit your
comments on.

First; perception is in the eye of the beholder.  If its your perception
that (and I hope I don't mis-represent you here):

- that the bug fix process is overly burdonsome
- that the project is run by Sun and that the CAB is appointed by Sun
- that the CDDL is restrictive
- that 2 months is enough time to get infrastructure in place for one of
the largest Open Source projects on the planet
- that the CAB is not moving fast enough

Then we (as in the CAB) need to work on _correcting_ these perceptions.  I
can assure you that, personally, I've been working my ask (?? typo) off on
the OpenSolaris project as a CAB member.  But I agree that it's not where
it needs to be and where *I* want it to be right now.  The scale of the
project and the amount of work the CAB needs to do, is massive.  And we
don't want to screw it up!  But this does not come as a surprise to me -
it's pretty much what I expected given the size of the project and the
number of internal Sun engineers actively working on it.  Well OK - it's
only two times what I expected...  :)

The alternative would have been to not launch OpenSolaris for another year.
And then we would have launched with a full set of tools in place - such
as, a workable SCM (Source Control Management) usable to both the community
developers and the internal Sun developers.

But as it is, the project launched and we've working like crazy to get the
missing tools/infrastructure in place, to get the Charter, the Governance
Model and the Development Process in place.  And all this is being done in
public with transparency and community participation.  And yes, some of it
does not look pretty!  :)

A small diversion and then I'll make my point:  I read a comparison of
MicroSofts .NET and C# versus Java, and the writer said something really
insightful (not inciteful).  He said that .net was where Java was at the
same point in its evolvement.  So, try to apply that to the OpenSolaris
Project.  After only two months "in the wild", I'd say that OpenSolaris is
way, way further along than any other open source project at the same point
in its evolution.  And don't forget that development has not even paused
for the launch ....  the source code is still evolving faster than a
runaway train.

I'd like to thank you for your efforts on the list.  Its very important to
solicit other peoples perspective on OpenSolaris.  Without it there's a
danger that we could become dumb and happy!

Regards,

Al Hopper  Logical Approach Inc, Plano, TX.  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
           Voice: 972.379.2133 Fax: 972.379.2134
OpenSolaris Community Advisory Board (CAB) Member - Apr 2005