Many moons ago, I managed to be quick enough to register for a free t-shirt.
And I was pleased.

Slightly fewer moons ago, I received in my letterbox a torn-off customs
declaration, without any parcel attached. This had been redirected from a town
about 60km from where I live (I live in Meylan, and it had been sent to Les
Abrets - obviously the two look very similar). So I went to my local post
office to see if they could locate it. They photocopied the paper and said
they'd phone me if I found anything. Some more moons, and I had no call, I
decided to call the post office to which it had been misdirected.

I had a very cheering conversation with a wonderful person that was
stereotypical in the way that she was helpful. This filled me with joy at
living in France. The converstation went along these lines. [my thoughts in
brackets]

Me: I've received a customs declaration without the attached parcel, and it was
franked in your post office. I've been to my local post office, but they don't
seem to be able to find anything.
{more details, explanation of misdirection}
post office employee (POE): Well, the label must have been badly written
Me: No, it's perfectly legible. So, what are you going to do?
POE: So what do you expect me to do? [your job!]. We can't do anything [because
we're too f*!#ing lazy and useless]. You'll have to contact the sender. [that's
right, after you ripped off the address label, the parcel walked over to the
Atlantic Ocean, which it promptly swam accross, then it walked right accross
the USA and went back home all by itself].

So if anyone that was involved in the sending of the t-shirts reads this, and
you've had a parcel returned to you that looks like it's travelled 10,000km on
its own, is there any possibility of resending it?

For everyone else: if ever you need to send a parcel to/from France, use
DHL/UPS/FedEx. It might cost more, but at least there's some chance that it
will arrive.

A+
Paul