On 9/11/05, Stefan Teleman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 9/11/05, Shawn Walker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Wasted time? As long as *commercial* native KDE applications have to
> > pay the "Trolltech Tax" GNOME is the only viable alternative for many
> > commercial endeavors.
>
> KDE does not publish or write any commercial software of any kind. Period.
>
> There are *no* fees to be paid for downloading, building or using KDE.
>
> The version of QT used in KDE is the GPL version of QT. As such, there
> are no fees or licenses to be paid for using the version of QT used in
> KDE.
>
> Please stop posting erroneous information.

It is not erroneus information. For all practical purposes, since the
very base toolkit of KDE is Qt, and you must license Qt from Trolltech
for any major commercial applications (be serious, who releases major
desktop commercial applications like Photoshop as GPL?) you have to
pay what I and many others call the "Trolltech Tax" by licensing Qt so
you don't have to GPL your software. GNOME does not require this. For
small businesses that write commercial software and don't want to GPL
it, you are *forced* to license Qt if you want to make a native KDE
application. Hence terming it a "tax".

--
Shawn Walker, Software and Systems Analyst
[EMAIL PROTECTED] - http://binarycrusader.blogspot.com/