Darren J Moffat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Thu, 2005-10-06 at 13:16, Joerg Schilling wrote:
> > "James C. McPherson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > > The design of ZFS is endian-neutral. Ufs is very much endian-dependent
> > > and as I understand it the work involved to remedy that is more than
> > > non-trivial.
> >
> > The effort to make ufs endien tolerant would take about 2 weeks from
> > my expectations.
>
> So we will a sponsor request from you in 2 weeks time then ?

Sun may be more effective if they would pay to get certain things done
externally instead of doing it internally at Sun.

I am e.g. able to add Joliet support to the "hsfs" code while the
official maintainer (Frank Hofmann) believes that he will need 1-2 weeks.

> Many many people who are intimately involved with the ufs code base have
> looked at this in recent years and from every one of them I've spoken
> with the estimate is more in terms of months than a couple of weeks.
> It apparently isn't as trivial as you think it is.

I did 10 years ago. It may be a bit more when including logging support....

Jörg

       [EMAIL PROTECTED]                (uni)
       [EMAIL PROTECTED]        (work) Blog: http://schily.blogspot.com/