Hi there. Since I administrate several Solaris servers at work, I would like to
use Solaris at home too. I have used linux and freebsd for long time, but after
Sun started to open solaris it appeals more and more to me. Still I have some
probably stupid questions to ask. Just be honest and feel free to post Your
opinion:

NB: When I say Solaris I also mean OpenSolaris.

1) Freebsd and Debain can be installed as minmum, and then You can suit them as
You like. What I don't like about Solaris is that it take up 5 GB or more for a
standard installation. Why do Sun or OpenSolaris need so much initial harddisk
just for the instalaltion ?

2) The package system on Solaris is years behind the package systems from
FreeBSD and Debian. Do the Solaris plan to evolve their package system, or will
it remain in the current clumsy state ?

3) In my opinion Solaris would be superior to Debian and FreeBSD if it had a
smarter package handling, and if it could be installed as a minimum system one
could suit and build up by adding just the needed packages.

4) The Ultimate linux-killer would be if You could install and run Debian Linux
packages with apt-get

Come on, and give me Your 2 Cents :)

Br, Daniel Mersebak, Copenhagen