On 10/11/05, S Destika <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I wasn't discussing how good Redhat or Suse's support is - Even Sun
> support has sucked upon me - it all depends on who is handling your
> case.
I can't say Sun ever made stuff up when they couldn't help me.  They
also publish Bug IDs that are fixed in particular patches, so I have
some idea what is in new revisions.  And you were discussing how good
their support was, you made direct claims about how "Enterprises" use
them.  It sounded suspiciously like a direct endorsement.

> Can you detail which apps broke upon you recently and since you claim > to be
> knowing more than RH support does, do you know why they were
> broken? I mean come on - I use binaries from 2001 today and they work > just
> fine. Unless you use *broken* apps which are coded to depend on
> non-standard, unpublished features, I bet your programs are going to
> work. Hell, even changes as big as NPTL didn't cause trouble with
> *sanely coded* applications. And the segfaults - you must be running a
> broken kernel or broken app. Former surely will get fixed if you have
> support contract with RH / SUSE that's even better, but even if you don't >
> just drop a mail to linux-kernel.
Surely get fixed?  Have you tried it?  The applications are too
numerous to list, anything program of scale has a potential to fail.
Where would I even begin... NetCDF is pretty touchy for one, and
extremely widely used.  I'm not impressed if you have 2001 era
programs that still run--I have Linux bins from 1996 that still run,
its because they're small and statically compiled, surprise surprise.

> What you said is _clearly_ a case of spreading FUD, uninvited,
> particularly when we are discussing scalability and performance here.
> You  are of course welcome to use what you like and what suits you but > when
>  you say something back it up with facts, logic and numbers
> instead of questioning somebody else's experiences.
No, I addressed your particular claims about enterprises using Linux
systems.  I could reference your particular messages in which you made
your claims, but it would probably be a waste of time.  I question why
are you advocating something you seem to have no direct experience
with, and I want to know what actual applications you think the SPEC
benchmarks reflect.  In my own comparions with the applications we
use, I've found Solaris and Redhat have very little to do with the
actual performance, most of it seems to be compiler dependent, and so
the major issue for me is whether or not I get reasonable uptime,
stability, etc. so we can run our stuff in the first place.

Dave