AFAIK, FiST (which underlies the referenced "support" for unionfs on Solaris)
was never
updated past Solaris 7/SunOS 5.7.  That's a problem, because it depends on the
(private, uncommitted, and all-too-undocumented!) vfs interface, which changed
at least from 5.7 to 5.8 (to add support for umount -f, I think); not sure what
if
any subsequent changes there have been.  I've wanted to play with FiST, but
didn't
stumble across it 'til I was already running  Solaris 8, so no go; and updating
it myself
would've been rough (see below for part of why).

Sure would be nice if there were a doc on the vfs interface.  I understand it's
one
of the few places left for adding certain types of magic, so it may well never
become
committed (unless there's some way to achieve both extensibility and
compatibility -
maybe the last change provides a hook for that?).  But there will always be
non-Sun
filesystem implementations (AFS, DCE/DFS, VxFS, ...), and a pseudo-NFS server
isn't always a suitable approach.

Since it's not a committed interface (at least not yet), a history of
version-to-version
changes, and a heads-up on any upcoming changes (so filesystem maintainers could
update their code), would be a big help too.