Yes, there are multi-petabyte systems out there.  Though you may
disagree, I personally don't think its unreasonable to expect such
filesystems to pass the 16 exabyte range within the next 20 years.
Neither did the ZFS designers, hence the 128-bit capability.

Note that we are talking about filesystems, not individual disks.  ZFS
filesystems can span any number of disks, just as you could achieve by
layering on top of a volume manager or through a distributed filesystem.
Besides just being flat out larger, the growth rate of filesystem size
not directly proportional to the growth rate of disks.

- Eric

--
Eric Schrock, Solaris Kernel Development       http://blogs.sun.com/eschrock