indeed. Also having something like FUSE framework available for SunOS
platform should speed up development of variety of popular FSs, like
smbfs, googlefs, and others listed here:
http://fuse.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/FileSystems

Next OSes supported Linux 2.4.x, Linux 2.6.x and FreeBSD.

API is very clear. "hello world" filesystem could be written in less
than a 100 lines of code.

10+ language binding exists, including Java, C#, Python, Perl etc..

Dmitry