[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
I heard about a 256 fd limit on solaris 32bit boxes due to some stdio limit...
will anything chang
e in opensolaris? is it possible to increase this limit?

There's not 256 fd limit; there's a limitation on using file descriptors
over 255 in FILE *s.  I.e., once all fds <= 255 are taken you can no longer
fopen()/popen()/freopen() anything and fdopen with an fd over 255 will also
fail.

This limitation applies only to 32 bit processes.

We're working on a mechanism to fix this but this is not straightforward
as we'll need to prevent file corruption in old binaries.

Casper

For folks interested in the details, the issue here is old binaries
that were compiled with a fileno macro that directly dereferenced
the char that holds the file descriptor.  This was changed in 1998
(Solaris 7) to always be a function call with the fix for:

4155198 fileno() macro is evil and must be removed

Note that other breakage may occur to programs that define their
own FILE structures, since these would then be too small.

Yet another example of why exporting a data interface from a shared
library is intrinsically a bad idea.

- Bart

--
Bart Smaalders                  Solaris Kernel Performance
[EMAIL PROTECTED]               http://blogs.sun.com/barts